lnstructions to authors
Apunts. Educación Física y Deportes is a multidisciplinary scholarly journal issued by the National Physical Education Institute of Catalonia, Spain (Instituto Nacional de Educación Física de Cataluña). It was launched in 1985 with the mission of publishing original scholarly articles (75% of the articles published are research-based) in the fields of physical education and sport sciences. It is published in Spanish (ISSN 1577-4015) and Catalan (ISSN 0214-8757), with the inclusion of articles in English, as well as an electronic version (ISSN 2014-0983), the latter available at: www.revista-apunts.com. All of the articles presented have been subjected to a blind peer view process. To be published in the journal, authors must be familiar with and follow the instructions below:
The journal is organized into seven sections, which comprise its usual content along with a variable Miscellanea section (Notes for the 21st Century, Opinion, Women and Sport, Replies and Scholarly Letters, Doctoral Theses-Summaries). These sections are the following:
- Humanities and social sciences – “José María Cagigal” Forum.
- Physical activity and health.
- Physical education.
- Sports education.
- Physical preparation.
- Sports training.
- Sports management, active leisure, and tourism.
Very important: Manuscripts should be submitted in Spanish or Catalan. They may also be submitted in English (in which case the translation of the manuscript into Spanish or Catalan must also be enclosed).
The complete document outlining the APA 6th education publication norms can be downloaded by clicking on the icon below.
Ethical Considerations in the Conduct and Reporting of Research
Details on the peer review process used by the journal (phases, possible outcomes).
The journal follows a plagiarism screening policy.
The studies must be original and unpublished, preferably grounded upon scholarly research and not in the process of being simultaneously reviewed by any other journal or publication. For this reason, a certificate signed and dated by the main author stating explicitly that the article enclosed has not been published and is not being reviewed by any other journal or publication, and, if needed, that it is based on scholarly research, is required.
It is very important to carefully read the different requirements which are preconditions for publication, otherwise the manuscript will be returned for failure to comply with the norms. If you have any questions on submitting material, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +34 93 241 79 89.
Through the ONLINE PLATFORM
The process of submitting manuscripts has 5 steps:
- 1. START: In this step, you will validate the submission checklist, the authors will transfer the copyright, and comments may be sent to the editor.
- 2. UPLOAD SUBMISSION: In this step, only the original article (.doc .docx) is uploaded for review.
- 3. ENTER THE METADATA: In this step, the personal data of the authors is filled out and the contact author is defined.
- 4. UPLOAD ADDITIONAL FILES: In this step, the following are uploaded:
- Introductory page in Microsoft Word or a similar document (avoid PDF). This document is used to help the editorial manager and consists of: identifying information, affiliation, and contact information of the authors, specifying the corresponding author and his/her postal address (to physically send the journal, if the article is published).
- Certificate of originality following the template provided by the journal. (Download template)
- High-quality graphs or images that enhance the article (optional)
- 5. CONFIRMATION: This is the final step which confirms the submission.
Specification of the files to send on the ONLINE platform
A single copy (.doc) should be sent which only consists of these three sections:
- Title of the article.
- Full name, affiliation, postal address, and email address of ALL the authors:
- in the order in which they are involved in the article.
- indicating their degrees and institutional or professional affiliation, if applicable.
- Designation of one author to whom all correspondence should be sent, indicating contact telephones and email address.
Letter acknowledging authorship and statement of conflicts of interest
A letter should be sent to the director of the journal including:
- The title of the article in Spanish or Catalan
- The section in which the authors would like it published
- The authors’ acceptance of the content submitted
- The authors’ granting the copyright to INEFC, stating that the manuscript has not been previously published, in part or in its entirety, and that it is not in the process of being reviewed by another publication.
A statement of potential conflicts of interests that could affect the article submitted must be included from each of the authors.
The first signatory shall be considered the main author and will be in charge of communication with the journal’s Editorial Board.
The certificate model can be found at the following link. In order to fill out the documentation to be sent by email, the introductory letter with the signatures of the authors can be scanned and sent in electronic format (preferably pdf).
The article must be a document in Microsoft Word or a similar program and must be in column format so the reviewers can reference the numbering of the paragraphs in their suggestions.
To see the complete structure of an article, check the section below on this page: “Kinds of contributions”.
A. KINDS OF CONTRIBUTIONS
1. Articles. Original publications
a) Original studies based on research. Previously unpublished studies which provide results and knowledge from original research in one of the sections in the journal and their respective applications.
- Organization: This kind of article must have the following sections to the extent possible (as permitted by the scholarly discourse in the different fields of knowledge):
- Abstract: In Spanish and English. Maximum 250 words, placed right after the title of the article. Must be organized and contain a brief description of the objectives, methodology, results, and conclusions of the article.
- Keywords: In Spanish and English (maximum 6).
- Introduction: Must contain a presentation of the problem or object of study, the purpose of the study and the research goals, along with a brief survey of the state of the issue. It must be concise and contain no tables or figures.
- Material and methods: (“Description of the sources” in social studies and humanities). This should outline the human and material resources used in the study, describing their characteristics and selection criteria, as well as the methods or techniques or sources used. It is essential to provide the technical and bibliographic information needed for the experiment described to be replicated by another researcher.
- Results: This should recount but not interpret the observations and discoveries made with the resources and method used.
- Discussion and conclusions: The authors should interpret the results, associate the data found with other publications grounded upon similar experiments, explain the relevancy of the methodology used, provide reasons why the results may be valid, establish possible applications, and provide suggestions on future studies and new hypotheses around the issue examined.
- Bibliographic References: Only the authors and studies cited in the text should appear. Must follow APA citation rules. Download APA rules
- Appendixes: May be added, if needed.
- Acknowledgements: When needed, mention any individuals whose intellectual contribution to the article does not justify their inclusion as an author, centers, and public, private or commercial entities that have contributed to the study.
- Length: maximum 16 DIN-A4 pages, including tables, figures, and list of references.
b) Bibliographic survey articles. This is a systematic critical review of bibliographic references (books, articles, doctoral theses, conference proceedings) in a given period of time on a highly delimited topic and using a given selection method. Preference will be given to survey articles which focus on timely topics today.
Organization. This kind of article must preferably contain the following sections:
- Abstract: In Spanish and English. Maximum 200 words. Without structure and placed after the title of the article.
- Keywords: In Spanish and English (maximum 6).
- Introduction: Introduction of the subject being surveyed, justification and delimitation of the study. Brief critical analysis of other bibliographic surveys conducted on the topic of study defined.
- Results: Presentation of the results grouped by categories.
- Discussion: Interpretative analysis of the results.
- Final considerations.
- Bibliographic references.
- Length: maximum 12 DIN-A4 pages, including tables and figures.
c) Opinion (or debate) articles. The text should be organized into the sections that the author deems necessary for the subject discussed to be perfectly understandable.
Organization. As a suggestion, this kind of article should preferably contain the following sections:
- Abstract: In Spanish and English. Maximum 150 words, placed right after the title of the article. It should precisely address the three basic parts of the text in a well-grounded fashion using the hermeneutic method:
- Keywords: In Spanish and English (3 to 6).
- Statement of the issue.
- Bibliographic references: Only the authors and studies cited in the text should appear.
- Length: máximum 8 Din-A4 pages.
2. Summaries of doctoral theses
The summaries of doctoral theses submitted should be at most 450 words long and contain the following informative elements:
- Complete title.
- Date defended (day/month/year).
- Full name of the author(s) and supervisor(s), job title, and institution with which they are affiliated.
- Email address and postal address of the author for correspondence.
- The title and keywords must be in the original language of the thesis and in English.
B. FORMAT GUIDELINES
To submit a manuscript for publication in Apunts. Educación Física y Deportes for preliminary evaluation, the text must meet the minimum format and content conditions outlined below:
- Language: The manuscripts should be submitted in Spanish, Catalan, or English (in the latter case, a translation of the manuscript into Spanish or Catalan must also be provided).
- Title: This is a brief summary of the content. It must be precise and accurately represent the study it heads. The title must also be translated into English. The title of the article must be aligned in the center, in bold, with 14-point font size.
- Authors: Full name, institution, basic degrees, and city of the authors; name, postal address, email, fax, and telephone number of the corresponding author. Indicate whether the study was financed by any institution (grant, program) or whether it has previously been presented at a conference; in the latter case, add the name, date, and place.
- Abstract: Brief summary of the content which must include all the essential elements of the article so it can be understood and evaluated briefly. It must be written in clear, direct language indicating the purpose, goals, and results of the study. A translation into English must be included.
- Keywords (3 to 6): They should follow an established order and will help to index the title in databases. The keywords must be translated into English.
- Maximum number of pages of the manuscript: 16 pages for original research articles, 12 for bibliographic surveys, and 8 for opinion articles, including bibliography, tables, and figures. The text should be written with 1.5 line spacing.
- File: The document must be written in 12-point Times New Roman in Microsoft Word or a similar program with a .doc file extension. It must have a 3-centimeter margin on the upper, lower, and right sides and 4-centimeter margin on the left side. The titles of the different sections into which the article is divided must be aligned on the left and written in bold 12-point font (no underlining). The pages or the document sent should not have text in the headers or footers.
- Illustrations and figures: All illustrations (graphics) must be optimized in .jpg, .png, or .gif format, accompanied by an explanatory title. High-quality graphs and images will only be inserted in the publication mock-up. They must be added in step 4 of submissions.
- Charts and tables: They must have a title or statement on their content; if explanations using symbols, acronyms, or abbreviations are needed, they should go at the bottom of the table or chart. All tables and charts must be numbered and placed inside the text at the appropriate place instead of at the end of the article.
- Notes of clarification: These must be inserted at the end of the document, not as footnotes; they must be numbered in consecutive order using Arabic numerals. The bibliographic references should not be included as notes since they should appear in a list at the end of the article.
- List of bibliographic references: All the authors and bibliographic references cited in the text must be included in a list at the end of the article. The format of the bibliographic references should follow the guidelines of the American Psychological Association (APA) 6th edition.
- Author(s) surname, initials of first/middle name(s). (Date). Book title (in italics). Place of publication: publisher.
Fraisse, P. (1967). La Psychologie du Temps. Paris: PUF.
- Author(s) surname, initials of first/middle name(s). (Date). Chapter title. In Book author (initials of first/middle name(s) and surname), Book title (in italics) (pages). Place of publication: publisher.
Elias, N. (1992). La génesis del deporte como problema sociológico. En A. N. Elias & E. Dunning (Eds.), Deporte y ocio en el proceso de civilización (pp. 157-184). Mexico: Fondo de Cultura Económica.
- Author(s) surname, initials of first/middle name(s). (Year). Article title. Journal name, volume (in italics) (issue number), pages. doi (if available)
Luis, V., Reina, R., Sabido, R., & Moreno, F. J. (2012). Comportamiento visual y respuesta de reacción en tenis según el tipo y dirección del golpe. Apunts. Educación Física y Deportes (107), 61-68. doi: 10.5672/apunts.2014-0983.es.(2012/1).107.06
- Author(s) surname, initials of first/middle name(s). (Date of publication). Article title. Journal name (in italics), pages.
Schwartz, J. (30 September 1993). Obesity affects economic, social status. The Washington Post, pp. 3-5.
- Author(s) surname, initials of first/middle name(s). (Year). Doctoral or Master’s thesis title (in italics) (Unpublished doctoral or Master’s thesis). Institution name, Place.
Gutiérrez, D. (2008). Desarrollo del pensamiento táctico en edad escolar (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, Ciudad Real.
- Author(s) surname, initials of first/middle name(s). (Date of publication). Article title. Publication name (in italics), volume (in italics) (issue). Retrieved from www.xxxxxxx
Garrido, R. P., González, M., & Pérez San Roque, J. (April, 2004). Valoración de la antropometría en atletas de élite de la provincia de Alicante. Revista Digital Buenos Aires (Argentina), 10(71). Recuperado de www.efdeportes.com/efd71/antrop.htm
Conference or symposium proceedings
- Published in a book: Author(s) surname, initials of first/middle name(s). (Date). Chapter title. In Name of book editor (initials of first/middle name(s) and surname), Book title (in italics) (pages). Place of publication: publisher.
Katz, I. Gabayan, K., & Aghajan, H. (2007), A multi-touch surface using multiple cameras. En J. Blanc-Talon, W. Philips, D. Popescu & P. Scheunders (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Vol. 4678. Advanced Concepts for Intelligent Vision Systems (pp. 97-108). Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-74607-2_9
- Published in a periodical: Author(s) surname, initials of first/middle name(s). (Date of publication). Article title. Publication name (in italics), volume (in italics) (issue), pages.
Herculano-Houzel, S., Collins, C. E., Wong, P., Kaas, J. H., & Lent, R. (2008). The basic nonuniformity of the cerebral cortex. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 105(34), 12593-12598. doi:10.1073/pnas.0805417105
Citations and references within the text: APA 6th edition rules. The file below contains exhaustive references on how to present bibliographic references:
C. REVIEW POLICY
The Editorial Board reserves the right to return articles that do not meet the publishing rules stipulated in this document to authors before sending them for the first review for selection.
Articles that offer no significant new insights or confirmation of theories will be returned due to a lack of scholarly relevancy and will not proceed through the review process.
All articles initially accepted by the Editorial Board for evaluation in the review process shall be subjected to the same peer review process using the double-blind procedure. In the event of a discrepancy between the two reviewers on the article being reviewed, a third reviewer will be assigned.
To ensure the integrity of the double-blind review procedure conducted by experts for this journal, the authors must strive to avoid revealing their identity and institutional affiliation. Before submitting the manuscript, we recommend that authors make sure to take the following steps with the text and file properties: the authors of the document must eliminate their names from the text, as well as any reference to their affiliations which could identify them; they should also try to ensure that none of their references appear in the document files.
After the original text has been accepted, it is sent to peer scholars who use the evaluation table (available at www.revista-apunts.com/media/hoja_evaluacion.pdf), to assess the relevancy of the article, its formal aspects, the rigorousness of its contents, the methodology used and possible applications. The reviewers will issue their opinion about whether or not the article should be published with minor changes or with notable changes and modifications, or whether the article should be rejected for publication in the journal. In all cases, the reviewer will provide suggestions, nuances, and comments addressed to the author and the editor.
The corresponding author will anonymously receive the evaluations, suggestions, and opinions from the article evaluated.
After this process, if the article has been accepted for publication, the Editorial Board may make any final observations it deems relevant, which the author should follow precisely and then promptly return the article. These modifications may solely be subjected to the indications of the Editorial Board. The editorial team of the journal must be notified in the event of new changes because of subsequent findings.
Once the article has been definitively accepted, before it is published the galley proofs will be sent to the corresponding author, who must review them within at most four days.
The estimated review period is the frequency with which the journal is published, starting from the time when the author is notified of receipt of the article.
The copyright to the articles published in Apunts. Educación Física y Deportes are held by the journal, and these articles may not be partly or totally reproduced without the permission of the journal’s Editorial Board.
The journal accepts no responsibility for the ideas and opinions expressed by the authors of the articles or contributions.
The journal does not control nor does it take any responsibility for the links and hypertexts in some articles which provide access to features and services offered by third parties on other websites.
E. CERTIFICATE OF ORIGINALITY
Texts that are candidates to be published articles must be previously unpublished and original and cannot be in a simultaneous review process to be published in other journals or editorial bodies. To this end, the main author shall send a signed and dated certificate with the text following the document available for download in the following link:
In addition to the above, the author must also declare the absence of plagiarism and state whether the text comes from original research or another empirical or professional work.
F. ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
No texts which promote any kind of social, racial, political, sexual, or religious discrimination will be published.
When experiments performed on humans or animals are described, the authors must state that the procedures used are in line with the standard ethical norms.
Articles that have received economic or financial assistance to be published must have the permission of the corresponding institution.
The journal accepts no previously published material. The authors are responsible for getting any permits needed to partly reproduce material (text, tables, or figures) from other publications as well as for properly citing their source.
If it is determined that an article which is partly or totally plagiarized from another work has been submitted to this journal, it will automatically be rejected and its authors excluded from publishing in Apunts. Educación Física y Deportes in the future.
You can download the complete ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITIES document by clicking on the icon below.
G. CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
The journal expects authors to state any commercial association that they may have which could entail a conflict of interest in relation to the article submitted.
Only persons who have intellectually contributed to the development of an article may appear in the list of authors. As a general rule, the authors:
- Have participated in the conception and realization of the study that resulted in the submitted article.
- Have participated in writing the text and in any possible revisions.
- Have approved the version that is ultimately published.
The journal refuses to accept any responsibility for possible conflicts stemming from the authorship of the articles published in Apunts. Educación Física y Deportes.
I. INFORMED CONSENT
In the Methods section, the authors must mention that the procedures used in patients, students, and control groups were performed after obtaining their informed consent.